There are a host of cultural-historical places of interest in the Drâa Valley, the environs of Ouarzazate in the foothills of the High Atlas and the Dades Valley. But you should not overlook the very interesting living culture either. It is this which makes your stay in Morocco such an unforgettable experience.
The differences between the every day culture in Morocco and that in Central Europe are very invigorating.
We recommend the following destinations and can also take you to them:
- Kasbah Taourirt (Ouarzazate)
- Kasbah-Komplex der Ait-Benhaddou (UNESCO-World Heritage Site)
- Dar Glaoui in Telouèt (Berber castle of the notorious tribal chief Glaoui)
- Ait Ouazik Rock Drawings
- Ksour von Tamnougalt near Agdz (exceptional fortifications)
- Shrine of Side Bou Saleh at Tamnougalt ksour
- Zaouia Timsla (place of pilgrimage with an exceptional mosque)
- Amezrou village near Zagora (home of the dark-skinned Haratin)
- Tamegroute village near Zagora (pan-Moroccan place of pilgrimage with a Koranic library)
A visit to the region’s markets is a long-remembered experience. The market in Agdz is extremely basic and caters primarily for the everyday needs of the local farmers. The town is not geared to cater for tourists. Nonetheless they are made to feel very welcome. A surprising range of everyday products is available and the custom of haggling can be observed at every turn.
- Monday market in Alnif and Tinghir (Dades Valley)
- Wednesday market in Tazzarine und El Keela M’Gouna (Dades Valley)
- Thursday market in Agdz and Telouèt (High Atlas)
- Sunday market in N’kob, Zagora, Ouarzazate and Erfoud (Tafilalt)
There has been a well-documented decline in crafts in Europe for several decades. Certain techniques have become rare or have even been completely lost. A great deal has fallen victim to automation – but this is not the case in Morocco. In every large village, and therefore in Agdz as well, there are several interesting craft workshops to visit. Anyone adventurous enough to enter into conversation with locals is sure to see everything of interest. The people feel honoured if you take an interest in their work. The following craft workshops can be seen in Agdz:
- Basket Weaving